|Lt. Uhura, Communications Officer|
aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise
Thoughts on Uhura:
Uhura was as capable a communications officer as you could ask for. Always ready to fulfill the routine requirements of her post, she was also skilled at handling problems and difficult situations when they arose. She had Mr. Spock's complete confidence, a compliment by any standard. Away from her post, she always remained brave in the face of danger, even when she was afraid.
"Uhura" is derived from the Swahili word for "freedom."
Most Star Trek fans are already aware of Nichelle Nichols' pioneering role as one of the first African American lead characters on television, and how she stayed with Star Trek after the first season due to a personal request by Martin Luther King, Jr. For those not familiar with the story, you can read it or watch Nichelle Nichols tell it via the links below.
- Visit Nichelle Nichols' website, uhura.com, from which you can follow her on Facebook and Twitter
- Watch a YouTube video of Nichelle Nichols telling the story of her meeting with Dr. King
- Check out the Wikipedia article on Uhura
- Read the Wikipedia article on Nichelle Nichols
- Take a look at Nichelle Nichols' IMDb page
- - - Click on pictures to view individual items' pages - - -
|1991 Hamilton/Presents 10.5" Figure|